Monday, July 11, 2016

WEEK 100 - THE HOLY PRIESTHOOD

Good morning, my beloved brothers and sisters in the spirit. 'Tis I
once again, the ever-incredible Elder Z.S.Weber, sending off this
email to all y'all back at home in Utah and onward throughout the
world, from this simple apartment that Elder Pember and I have come to
call home. This has been an incredible week, I am happy to say. A lot
has happened this past week, a lot of great things, and so we have a
lot to talk about today. Not only that, but this was also the last
week of my last full transfer on the mission! Yeah, that went by a
little too quick if you ask me. Anyways, just like always, expect some
big changes coming up by the end of this email. All I'm going to say
for now is that my last three weeks on the mission are looking pretty
interesting.

So, without further ado, let's move on to Monday evening of last week.
Yeah, I don't usually jump all the way back to exactly a week ago, but
this was big. After running around on July 4th getting all of our work
done and getting all set and prepared for the coming week, Elder
Pember and I decided to head home so that he could finish up on his
laundry and I could catch a quick nap before we run ourselves into the
ground. Well, while we were in the middle of our resting, the Zone
Leaders popped in. Still don't know why they were in before 9, when
we're supposed to be home, but they seemed noticeably annoyed that we
were. Not wanting to start a fight (or say something I would regret,
as I often do when very, very tired), we headed out once more.

After driving around for a bit (mostly to help me cool down and think
clearly) we came to a stop and looked at our lists to see if there was
anyone that stood out for us to visit. There was—Thomas Rooney, a
self-referral. Now, I've dealt with self-referrals before, but this
guy was nothing like those guys. Tom was very serious about learning
more about the church, and was actually the one that brought up
baptism in our conversation, and what he would need to do so that he
would be eligible to be baptized. We left him a Book of Mormon, a King
James Version of the Bible (the only version I'll ever accept!), and
one of our temple pass-along cards for the new temple coming up.
Unfortunately, he'll have to be referred to the Zone Leaders, as he is
YSA age, but still! Awesome way to end the day!

Up until Friday, the rest of the week was a big blur. I do remember
going on exchanges with our District Leader's companion, Elder
Marchetti, as well as going to the doctor with Elder Pember (he was
the one going in, I was the one in the lobby waiting). However, Friday
was when things definitely got interesting. Allow me to set the scene
for you.


It was the early afternoon in Fort Collins, Colorado, and Elder Pember
and I had just finished a great lunch and were settling down at the
library to do our weekly planning. We had gotten through the first few
goals for our coming week (just about two or three) when we got a call
from the Zone Leaders asking us to come to the apartment ASAP. When we
asked them why, all they said was to just come and not to ask
questions. With those vague answers, Elder Pember and I drove all the
way back to the apartment, all the while thinking up all of the
possible worst-case-scenarios that would be reason to call us up
("They found my secret stash of Magic cards!" "They found out about us
playing D&D with the other Elders on P-Day!" "They want me to be a
District Leader/Trainer for my last three weeks!").

Of course, it was none of these worries of ours. Instead, it turned
out that Elder Jackson, our quirky Canadian Zone Leader, had been
chosen by President McMurray to be the new Assistant to the President
(AP), and so the other AP's (Elder Pratt and Elder Miner) were there
to pick him up so that he could get the gist of what it takes to be an
AP before he officially has to replace Elder Pratt as the AP. However,
because he was being whisked away so suddenly, Elder Fraser wasn't
going to have a companion to stay with for four days. So, until
Transfer Day rolled around for us, Elder Fraser was going to be the
third person in my first-ever tripanionship! Took me 23 months, but I
finally got myself a tripanionship!

Now, because we were with the Zone Leader, we had a lot of chances to
teach the discussions. I'm going to just say they have an advantage,
as they are teaching people who are already interested in making
changes in their lives (college students with all the horizon to
them). However, it was a wonderful chance to go out and teach so many
people, especially those that were on the road towards baptism. There
were a few, I will admit, that I found myself wondering 'why are you
holding yourself back?', which is one of the most frustrating things
out there. To see fellow children of God, so filled with a brightness
of light and hope, holding themselves back from the fullness of the
truth...it gets frustrating. However, it was a great experience, and
helped to light some further fire of desire in my heart.


Finally, the greatest thing that happened this week was on Saturday
and Sunday. You all should know about Kathy by now. Well, after
probably about eight weeks of working with Kathy and her husband,
Ralph, we finally made it to her baptism. It was a wonderful
experience, one filled with the Spirit surrounding us. Elder Pember
was the one to baptize her. After she was baptized, both she and Ralph
bore powerful witnesses of the truth of this gospel, and how thankful
they were to be able to be a part of it now. 


The next day, during
Sacrament Meeting, I was able to be the one to confirm Kathy a member
of the Church, and offer her the gift of the Holy Ghost. That moment,
I just felt this overwhelming feeling that this is why I am out on my
mission.

As for transfers, there is a lot that is changing here in the Fort
Collins Zone. Don't worry, me and Elder Pember are still together, and
still living with the Zone Leaders (as far as our knowledge goes).
However, there are some changes to note. Those of you who remember
Elder 'Morty' Mortensen from my Boulder days might be interested to
know that he is soon to be Elder Swann's new companion in the Harmony
Ward. Elder Anderson, our District Leader, is soon to be a 'father',
training one of the sixteen new missionaries coming in on Wednesday.
Elder Pratt, also, is coming into our Zone, serving as one of the
District Leaders, and he too is going to be a 'father'. Our new Zone
Leader, Elder Domnikov, is sounding to be a great missionary, too. So,
all-in-all, it's looking like next transfer is going to be a great
one, and a great three weeks to close out my mission!

So, that was what all happened this past week. Like I said, this was a
great week, and a great send off to the end of my last full transfer
on the mission. Now, from such a great week as this, I'm certain you
wonder what Spiritual Thought I have to share.

This week, I wish to bear my testimony on the Restoration of the
Priesthood. The Priesthood is the power of God given unto men to speak
and act in His name. It gives them the right and authority to do such
grand things as: summoning ten terrible plagues and unleashing them on
the foes of God; allowing a handful of meal and a little oil to last a
small family through a three-year drought; healing a man born blind so
that he might see; calming a fierce storm while out on the seas; and
feeding a congregation of five-thousand with only five loaves and two
fishes. These great and mighty miracles, and many more, are the work
of the priesthood, and the power of God given to man.

But the Priesthood isn't just the power to work miracles. Though great
that power is, the Priesthood offers us a greater, and far more
important, power and authority. It is only through the power and
authority of the Priesthood that the marvelous work of God can press
forward. When the last of the Apostles were killed after Christ's
resurrection, that authority to direct God's work and lead His people
was taken from the earth. Even if there were many men that desired to
follow God and further His work (which, yes there were), they did not
have the proper authority to do that work, and certainly not in His
name. Therefore, it was entirely necessary that the Priesthood must be
restored to the earth.

With the Restoration of the Gospel to the earth through Joseph Smith
came the Restoration of the Priesthood. Now, in this day and age, we
have been blessed by the presence of the Priesthood in our Church and
in our homes. As a missionary, it has been my honor to be able to
wield this holy Priesthood. It has given me the authority to teach
others the gospel of Jesus Christ, to go out and bring more of my
fellow spirit siblings back unto Him. I have had many chances to bless
others with this Priesthood and be the recipient of many great
blessings. And someday in the not-too-distant future, it will be my
honor to wield this power in righteousness as the Priesthood leader of
my family.

To put it into the words of a modern-day prophet, a man who uses the
priesthood entrusted to him righteously "will find his life sweetened,
his discernment sharpened to decide quickly between right and wrong,
his feelings tender and compassionate, yet his spirit strong and
valiant in defense of right; he will find the priesthood a never
failing source of happiness—a well of living water springing up unto
eternal life." (David O. McKay, October General Conference 1965) This
I bear my personal witness of, in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

—Elder Z.S.Weber

No comments:

Post a Comment